About The Founder
About Ceramic Tile and Stone Consultants
CTaSC is a consulting firm that specializes in ceramic tile, glass tile, natural stone, manufactured stone, terrazzo, brick, and other construction products. We are a professional company of expert consultants comprised of accomplished ceramic tile and stone installers, architects, engineers, general contractors, construction scientists and other industry specialists located throughout North America.
CTaSC provides forensic failure investigations and inspections, expert witness services, quality control services for product and installation methods, testing services, sales and installation training programs, market research and outsourcing services, and business planning consulting to the tile and stone industries. CTaSC was founded by and is operated by Donato Pompo, CTC CMR CSI CDT MBA.
Donato Pompo is a National Tile Contractors Association (NTCA) Recognized Consultant. NTCA recognizes Donato Pompo and CTaSC as a professional consultant for the ceramic tile and stone industries and recommends CTaSC for those needing inspections, investigations, expert witness services, and other consulting services.
CTaSC is also referred for inspections, investigations, expert witness services, and other consulting services by Tile Council of North America (TCNA), Marble Institute of America (MIA), Ceramic Tile Distributors Association (CTDA) and other industry organizations.
Donato Pompo CTC CMR CSI CDT MBA
Early Career and Education
Donato Pompo’s career in the ceramic tile and stone industry began when he graduated from high school and went to work as an installer for a Los Angeles-based union tile contractor.
His career ambition was interrupted for a time when duty called and he joined the United States Army. Donato served his country honorably as a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division, a General’s Assistant and as a Military Policeman. After the Army, Donato attended college and earned a full scholarship at UCSD Revelle College in La Jolla, California, where he majored in biochemistry.
Donato eventually joined the family business, Southwestern Ceramic Tile and Marble Co. in San Diego, California. During the 17 years that Donato ran daily operations and sales at his family’s company, he learned everything about ceramic tile and stone, their applications, and the architectural specifications of the products. His vast experiences elevated him to Executive Vice President of the company and a respected member of the industry.
A desire to run his own business and make positive contributions to the ceramic tile and stone industry motivated Donato to return to school and earn an MBA with an emphasis in both Marketing and Finance at the University of Phoenix.
Planting the Seeds for CTaSC
Following his broad experience in distributing and importing, and while working and going to school to earn his MBA, Donato sought yet another career challenge and joined Laticrete International, a global leader in the manufacturing of installation systems for ceramic tile and stone.
He worked for Laticrete for over seven years as a Sales Manager for the western U.S and Canada. Donato also had extensive experience at Laticrete conducting presentations for sales, marketing, and training.
In addition, he was frequently brought in by clients, especially on large-scale projects, to troubleshoot complex installations or to investigate and resolve job problems. This is where the seeds were planted that would eventually lead to the foundation of Ceramic Tile and Stone Consultants.
- Certified Ceramic Tile Consultant (CTC), certified through the Ceramic Tile Institute of America since 1979
- C54 – Tile (Ceramic and Mosaic) California Contractor’s License #1043005
- Certified Construction Documents Technologist (CDT) through the CSI since July 2000
- Council-certified Microbial Remediator (CMR), June 2007
- Certificate of Completion for Mold Remediation in Buildings since June 2007
- Certified Microbial Remediation Course Completion, March 2007
- Recognized Consultant for the National Tile Contractor Association (NTCA)
- American National Standard Specifications (ANSI) A108 Committee
- TCNA Standards Committee Participant
- American Standards Testing Materials (ASTM) C18 Dimension Stone Committee and the ASTM C21 Ceramic Tile Committee
- Ceramic Tile Distributors Association (CTDA), Chairman, CTDA Education Committee, past board member
- Ceramic Tile Institute of American (CTIOA), past Chairman, Technical Committee
- National Tile Contractors Association (NTCA), NTCA Technical Committee Participant
- Construction Specifications Institute (CSI)
- Tile Council of North America (TCNA) Handbook Committee
- Marble Institute of America (MIA)
- Forensic Consultants Association (FCA)
- Floor Covering Institute (FCI)
- Uniform Plumbing Code (IAPMO)
- Indoor Air Quality Association (IAQA)
- ISO TC189 committee
- Tile Heritage Foundation
- Club’84 Ceramic Tile Action Group, founding member
- TTMAC Tile Terrazzo Marble Association of Canada
In His Spare Time
Donato is a primary contributing writer, researcher, and co-producer of the Catalina Stone Industry Report, and is a frequent author and speaker for the ceramic tile and stone industry. He is creator and writer of TileWise Educational Cartoons that have been published throughout the industry.
Donato’s commitment to professionalism, education and quality is exemplified in his long history of accomplishments. When combined, his science background, comprehensive education and extensive business experience within the ceramic tile and stone industry all add up to a person who is very capable of providing exemplary work. Donato’s work ethic is firmly based on Integrity, Reliability, Honesty, Timeliness and Quality.